All men should strive to learn before they die what they are running from, and to, and why.

~James Thurber

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

And........the Peace Corp will be 50 in 2011 !!!

I've decided it's important for me to find out, and acknowledge, worthwhile people, organizations, etc., that will also turn 50 in 2011.  Of course I turned to Google for this task, and low & behold - the first item that popped up was the 50th anniversary of the Peace Corp.  I don't really know much about the Peace Corp, but I am about to dive into their website & learn all that I can.  Yes, I should be studying for a final but I am just over it - I can't study another second this semester - not ONE second.

So.......here is a link to the Peace Corp website for those of you interested....

http://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=resources.returned.fiftieth

One quick fact about the Peace Corp - On March 1, 1961, months before I was born, President Kennedy signed an executive order establishing the Peace Corp - called the Peace Corp Act.  Check out the link above - President Kennedy gave a speech at the University of Michigan prior to signing this order (October 14, 1960) & challenged the students who had waited for hours to volunteer for the cause of peach in developing countries, which was the inspiration for the founding of the Peace Corp.

President Kennedy then held an inaugural ceremony for the first group of volunteers (in the White House Rose Garden) - watch this video:



SO.....I have alot to learn......and luckily it's something I am CHOOSING to learn rather than being forced to learn!! 

On a side note, summer semester 2010 is ALMOST over - I honestly have never had a more difficult semester in college.  Taking 9 hours in one 8-week session is insane !!!

ENJOY the info about the Peace Corp & look for more info to follow.....this is exciting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment