All men should strive to learn before they die what they are running from, and to, and why.

~James Thurber

Friday, August 12, 2011

Maybe it's time.........to date

Seriously - not a blogger.  But have some things that I need to get out of my head, off my chest, and into the cosmos.  I joke all the time about Facebook sending me messages about "find the love of your life" on this dating site or "meet Mr. Right" on this site.  Need a boyfriend?  Facebook will help you find THE right online dating venue.  If ONLY it were that simple.......


I've made so many positive changes in my life in the past year.  But dating?  Let's see how many excuses I can put forth!  


(1)  Burton is still at home & it will "mess him up."  
(2) I am not at my goal weight yet..... 
(3) Just started a new job, no time for this nonsense.
(4) Must finish graduate school FIRST.
(5) Would have to shave my legs occasionally.
(6) Might have to whiten my teeth so my dazzling smile looks better.
(7) Might have to REALLY clean my house, not just spit clean
(8) Can't let anything interfere with my time with my grandson :)


You get the point!  Great excuses, all valid, yet somehow NOT valid.  I have a really good friend who met and/or reconnected to the love of her life AFTER 50 - they married, they are sickeningly happy, and I love hearing all about it.  I was married for 16 years --- not long by today's standards.  And I thought I would NEVER even entertain the thought of marrying again, and then my friend goes off & does it - and dang it - she is HAPPY!!  


I look around sometimes & think - hmmmm --- Burton is a senior, he will leave next August & he might not ever live at home again.  Yep - just me & Emma - my crazy Jack Russell.  Grad school is a given, but I'll still have some free time.  Grandson is busy - can still see him.  I've decided I need to make a list of the reasons why I should date, so here goes (feel free to comment/add to my lovely list):


     (1) Free dinners
     (2) I haven't had sex since 1996.......
     (3) I don't want to spend the rest of my life "alone"
     (4) I haven't had sex since 1996......
     (5) I want to fall in love
     (6) Ditto #4
     (7) I want to share my  fears, joy, happiness, with someone else
     (8) Free movies


The moral of THIS little blog is that maybe it's time.  Time to give it a chance, time to have some fun.  So family, friends, Facebook --- feel free to "fix me up."  I look forward to starting THIS adventure!

1 comment:

  1. Lynn, I love what a great mom you are to your kids! I talk about you all the time and how you dedicated your life to your children and denied yourself. However, I have heard you say that Burton would be fine with your dating. He's almost a man, and he'll be out of the house soon. It's time! You DESERVE to be happy. I'm not saying that it takes a man to make you happy, but finding the right one makes EVERYTHING so much better--time with your kids, grandkid, etc... The right person will enhance those things, not take them away.

    ReplyDelete